Literacy/Math/Other Content Areas: Early Literacy
Wisconsin Early Childhood Collaborating Partners provides information on language and early literacy.
- Beyond the Word Gap: Multimedia Resources and Tools (website) ZERO TO THREE has compiled a set of resources in English & Spanish, to help families, professionals, and policymakers understand the importance of supporting early language and literacy.
- Early Childhood Technical Assistance Center (ECTA) Early Literacy Resources (website)
- Growing Wisconsin Readers (webpage) a statewide initiative rooted in public libraries that aims to support WI caregivers of young children with information about early literacy.
- More than Baby Talk: 10 Research-based Ways to Promote the Language & Communication Skills of Infants & Toddlers (pdf) 2015 - www.fpg.unc.edu
- Planning for Early Literacy Success: Intersection between WI Model Early Learning Standards and Common Core State Standards (Live Binder): Guidance on setting learning expectations in language and early literacy for 4K that reflect both the WI Model Early Learning Standards (WMELS) and the Common Core State Standards: English Language Arts (CCSS-ELS). Includes resources on using recommended practice and research, local data, and alignment documents that show WMELS and CCSS-ELA for birth-5, kindergarten and first grade.
- Early Literacy: Classroom Photos (ppt) offers examples of ways to embed literacy in a developmentally appropriate early education program.
- InBrief Series (website) - videos and accompanying briefs from the Harvard Center for the Developing Child that provide brief summaries of recent scientific research.
- Get Ready to Read! (website) - offers free literacy resources and is designed to support educators, parents, and young children in the years before kindergarten. It is a service of the National Center for Learning Disabilities.
- A Window to the World: Promoting Early Language and Literacy Development - (video) from the Zero To Three Policy Center illustrating how early language and literacy development contributes to a child’s success throughout life.
- National Institute for Literacy (webpage) - The Institute finds scientifically based research on how young children develop skills.
- Center for Early Literacy Learning (website) - Promotes the adoption and sustained use of evidence-based early literacy learning practices. This site has resources for early childhood intervention practitioners, parents, and other caregivers of children, birth to five years of age.
- Joint Position Statement (pdf) - NAEYC and the International Reading Association
- Learning to Talk and Listen (pdf) - An oral language resource for early childhood caregivers.
- Early Beginnings (pdf) - Early Literacy Knowledge And Instruction
- Developing Early Literacy (pdf) - Report of the National Early Literacy Panel
- Executive Summary: Developing Early Literacy (pdf) - a report of the National Early Literacy Panel; a scientific synthesis of early literacy development and implications for intervention.